produce *mod with fortran

From: Eve-Marie Devaliere
Subject: produce *mod with fortran
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:32:58 -0500

Good morning autoconf community,

I am a newbie to autoconf and while I have made some good progress I am
hitting a road block.

I am taking this project from someone else and trying to use autoconf to
package it rather than the manual approach they had.

I have created my makefiles and configure.ac...
I have read in the tutorial that FCFLAG had to be set to -g (unless it
is g77).. Well I need to create *.mod and *.o so I need another set of
flags.....

if I ran configure this way:
 ./configure FC=ifort FC_FLAGS="-c -O2 -convert big_endian -free -assume
byterecl"

it does print out:
compilation environment variables:
   FC:       ifort
   FC_FLAGS: -c -O2 -convert big_endian -free -assume byterecl

but if I check the value of FCFLAG in the created Makefile it says -g
only....

so when I run make it tries
ifort  -g   -o Type_Kinds  Type_Kinds.o
while I want
ifort -c -O2 -convert big_endian -free -assume byterecl Type_Kinds.f90

In my Makefile.am I have entries such as:(there are many more like that)
bin_PROGRAMS = Type_Kinds
Type_Kinds_SOURCES = Type_Kinds.f90
... is that wrong for modules?

I tried those macro too
AC_PROG_FC_C_O
AC_FC_MAIN
in my configure.ac to try telling it it didn't have a main (I just want
modules), but no luck.... (Please bear with me as I am new to Fortran
too... )

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?
Thanks a lot,
Cheers,
Eve-Marie

--
Eve-Marie Devaliere, MS
Senior Science System/Software Engineer

The contents of this message are mine personally and do not necessarily reflect
any position of NOAA