Re: Problems when using an alternative autotools installation

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Problems when using an alternative autotools installation
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:58:02 -0700

On 01/31/2011 10:22 AM, Jim Galarowicz wrote:
> Still fails as below but autoconf is putting out a lot more messages
> about what is going on but the errors are still there as well as the
> warnings.
>     configure:15501: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIB_RPATH

AC_LIB_RPATH is not provided by autoconf itself (I _really_ wish third
party macro providers would quit stealing autoconf's namespace).  What
this means is that you probably installed some other package that
installed its own copy of a file that provides AC_LIB_RPATH in the
/old/path/share/aclocal directory, and that you need to either copy this
.m4 file into your new /opt/newest_autotools_root/share/aclocal, or else
add a redirect file /opt/newest_autotools_root/share/aclocal/dirlist
that tells aclocal all other directories to look in (aclocal is an
automake tool, not an autoconf one, so I'm pointing you to the automake

>     configure:15514: error: possibly undefined macro:
> configure:15858: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIB_APPENDTOVAR

Likewise, two more macros not provided by autoconf itself.

Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library