Re: configure -C by default?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: configure -C by default?
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 16:42:24 +0900

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
> So one question would be what about making -C the default?
> We could have --force or --no-cache to turn it off.
>
> This behavior actually used to be the default.  It was reverted around
> commit 5ae14bc8c048ed9a2dda6b67794ba (and also see
> commit 4abad4e9bfbcedd018302059844f8), 10 years ago.

I must say, I'm not really sorry that it's turned off by default; I've
been bitten way too many times by config.cache yielding out-of-date
information.

It's not at all uncommon that system configuration details change
between runs of configure -- e.g. the common scenario of "run
configure, notice some package is missing, install it, re-run
configure -- oops, configure _didn't notice_ because the information
was cached..."

Configure is a lot faster on a modern system than it used to be back
in the day, so presumably speed-related arguments for caching are
_weaker_ now than when the decision was made to disable it by
default...

-Miles

--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."