Re: Testsuite 147,148,149,150

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Testsuite 147,148,149,150
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:27:02 -0700

On 02/24/2011 03:23 PM, Tadeus (Eus) Prastowo wrote:
> But, I am wondering how the tarball can be released when not all test cases
> are okay ;-)

They were all okay _for the person who did the release_, given the set
of software installed on one single machine.  That does not mean the
testsuite is bug-free; sometimes, we don't find out about testsuite bugs
until after a release, when other people test with a wider combinations
of other software.

But that does not mean that a bug in the testsuite invalidates using
that build of autoconf.  You can most likely safely ignore those
testsuite failures, especially given that Ralf has pointed out the
likely commit that fixed that particular testsuite bug.

> That is the reason why I try to bootstrap from what I have in my git clone.

Bootstrap generally requires starting from an installed tarball, not
from a git clone.  Once you have installed something, then you can work
from git and install a git snapshot.  But you have to start somewhere,
and that's from a tarball.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682