Re: How do parallel builds scale?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: How do parallel builds scale?
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:24:12 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

I am fairly surprised GCC build times scaled so little.  IIRC I've seen
way higher numbers.  Is you I/O hardware adequate?  Did you use only -j
or also -l for the per-package times (I would recommend to not use -l).

Likewise. I think that it would be very good to compare build performance of non-recursive builds (such as for my own package) with more traditional recursive builds. The non-recurisive build offers more opportunity for speed-up since it makes more of the targets candidates to be built and avoids unnecessary use of the linker or archiver.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn