Re: What is "ac_nonexistent.h"?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: What is "ac_nonexistent.h"?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 07:44:59 -0700

On 03/07/2011 04:42 AM, ?????? wrote:
> Hi, guys.
> I'm new to Autoconf.
> Recently I wrote an very, very simple example of using autotools. The example
> worked OK(all worked OK, including generated Makefiles). But when I added
> macro AC_CHECK_HEADERS([...]) and it went well to generate configure shell
> script.
> So I ran ./configure, it's OK! Still I checked config.log, and found there is
> an error showing:
> "error: ac_nonexistent.h, no such file or directory."
> "Compilation terminated."
> Fortunately that is the only error which appeared several times in the
> config.log file.

That's a _good_ thing.  We _expect_ that compilation error, to prove
that we are correctly detecting how your compiler detects and rejects
broken source code that refers to a non-existent header (knowing how the
compiler detects missing headers is essential for later tests of
AC_CHECK_HEADERS to see which headers are present).

Not all failed compilations are bugs.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682