checking twice the same library with AC_CHECK_LIB

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: checking twice the same library with AC_CHECK_LIB
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:29:35 +0100 (CET)

Hey,

on Windows, with mingw, libbfd may depend on gettext (libintl, more precisely). I would like to do something like:

AC_CHECK_LIB([bfd], [bfd_openr],
   [
    have_bfd="yes"
    bfd_libs="-lbfd"
   ],
   [have_bfd="no"])
if test "x$have_bfd" = "xno" ; then
   AC_CHECK_LIB([bfd], [bfd_openr],
      [bfd_libs="-lbfd -lintl"],
      [AC_MSG_ERROR([the symbol bfd_openr can not be found])],
      [-lintl])
fi

On my system, binutils is sufficiently recent, hence libbfd depends on libintl. So the first test fails. But with the cache feature, the second test also fails.

I tried to set ac_cv_lib_bfd_bfd_openr variable to some values, without success.

On can I have no cached result for the first check ? Or is there another way to achieve what I want ?

thank you

Vincent Torri