Re: how to override precious variables for subdirs

From: Chris Frey
Subject: Re: how to override precious variables for subdirs
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:28:51 -0400

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:13:13PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> It is possible to amend or modify $ac_configure_args from within the
> toplevel configure (watch out with quoting, its contents are to be
> eval'ed later), but that might mean you'd have to turn off config.cache.

There is no API to do this, though, is there?  As I understand it,
$ac_configure_args is just one long string containing the arguments.

I did try to hack the individual $ac_env_PKG_CONFIG_PATH_value and
$ac_cv_env_*_value variables, but the command line arguments for
subdir processing seem to be generated before any user code.
By the time my code runs, the arguments are set.

> Incidentally, a patch has been proposed quite recently to add extra
> arguments to (some) sub package configure invocations.  It is still
> pending copyright assignment clearance before review, but definitely
> interesting.  It might help you.  However, given the preciousness it
> might also mean that an eventual config.cache file cannot be shared
> between the different configure scripts.

Where might I find this patch?  Maybe I could give it a try.

Thanks,
- Chris