Re: Request for inclusion [was: Re: Autoconf MPI macros]

From: Olaf Lenz
Subject: Re: Request for inclusion [was: Re: Autoconf MPI macros]
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:07:53 +0200

Hi Christian!

On 06/15/2011 10:44 PM, Christian Rössel wrote:
>> In principle, the macro is still useful if somebody doesn't want to
>> compile *all* his code using the MPI compiler, but only some files.
>> However, I have no clear idea why someone would want to do that...
>
> We are doing exactly that, but we have two configures, one for the
> usual CC and one for MPICC where we set CC=$MPICC before calling
> AC_PROG_CC. We used to have one configure in the beginning of the
> project; at that time we used AX_MPI but we don't use it any longer.

Well, in this case I would actually recommend to use the new macros in
the configure for MPI, as in that case a user won't have to set MPICC
manually, but it will be automatically found by the macro.

But as you are not using AX_MPI, this is a non-case. I believe that you
are not using AX_MPI precisely because of the issues with the macro.

Olaf

--
Dr. rer. nat. Olaf Lenz
Institut für Computerphysik, Pfaffenwaldring 27, D-70569 Stuttgart