Re: How to enable/disable my debug code?

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: How to enable/disable my debug code?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 02:26:18 +0700

On 31 Jul 2011, at 02:04, NightStrike wrote:
>>> because those are in the users' namespace.  Instead, Makefile.am should
>>> be setting required (but not compiler specific!!) options inside
>>> AM_CPPFLAGS/AM_CFLAGS/AM_LDFLAGS/etc.  The info manuals will help you
>
> How can you have compiler-generic options?  It's not like POSIX says
> that -O2 is for optimization, -g is for debug, and -D is for a
> commandline define.
>
> Unless I'm completely wrong, and there is in fact some sort of
> standard for compiler options other than "do whatever gcc does".

For example:

  AM_CPPFLAGS = -I../gnulib -I../libltdl
  AM_LDFLAGS = -L../libltdl @LIBTHREAD@

As in things that need to be there for your project to build, even if
the user passes flags of their own at make time.

> Consider, though, using cl.exe in an msys environment.  That uses /
> instead of - for switches, for instance.

I would be quite surprised if more that a very few Autotools using
projects compiled in that environment out of the box.

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)