LC_ALL and UTF-8 directory names

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: LC_ALL and UTF-8 directory names
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 16:39:28 +0200

Hi!

I just spent an unfair amount of time on a problem due to configure setting
LC_ALL to C.  The failure was the JVM being unable to load a class file right
in front of it (in .) under configure, but by hand it worked fine.

It turns out that the person who had the problem used French characters in his
directory names (and I guess this is frequent: he was working in the
"Téléchargements" (Download) directory that his browser created).  The JVM is
quite happy with that.  Unless you make the name "invalid" by setting LC_ALL to
C for instance, which Autoconf does.

This ends with:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Foo
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Foo
 Could not find the main class: Foo.  Program will exit.

Maybe configure should warn if `pwd` contains non ASCII characters?

Cheers!