Passing a user-defined value to AC_HAVE_LIBRARY

From: Markus Sander
Subject: Passing a user-defined value to AC_HAVE_LIBRARY
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 09:37:30 +0200

Hello,

I would like to give the user of my package the possibility to
specify a name for a library that may have a non-standard name on
the user's system. This is useful, for example, to select a
particular (non-system-default) boost library on systems that
install all of them as

    ^/usr/lib/libboost_[a-z_]+(-mt)?(-s)?-1_[0-9]+\.(a|so\..*)$

But I have trouble implementing that. When I use AC_HAVE_LIBRARY
on shell variable lib, then the result is cached in a variable
that is called something like ac_cv_lib_$lib_main. I could
manually prepend -l$lib to LIBS and try to link, but I would
rather use AC_HAVE_LIBRARY or AC_CHECK_LIB, if possible.
How can this be done?

Thanks,
Markus