Testing the value of a variable defined with m4_define (configure.ac)

From: Thomas Adam
Subject: Testing the value of a variable defined with m4_define (configure.ac)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 14:10:22 +0000

Hello all,

I've got a shell script which is called from within configure.ac --
with m4_esyscmd_s -- and this shell script echos out a few m4_define
lines to set some values.

Previously, these checks resided in configure.ac and set these
variables as shell variables.  Here's an example of what was
previously defined:

if test x"$ISRELEASED" = "xyes"; then
    VAR="somevalue"
    VAR2="somevalue2"
fi

Now, though, the shell script I mentioned is instead setting ISRELEAED
like this:

m4_define([ISRELEASED], [$VALUE_OF_RELEASE_STATUS])

So my question is, how can I change the if test above to now test the
value of ISRELEASED, to then set VAR and VAR2?  I know I can't just
expand ISRELEASED at the shell-level because it being defined via
m4_define no longer makes it a shell variable.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kindly,

-- Thomas Adam