Re: uint64_t fails with C++

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: uint64_t fails with C++
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 16:18:26 -0500

On 2011-12-07 15:31 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> > > I still don't understand the details of the autoconf problem (and I
> > > still think that something is fishy), but defining this macro works
> > > just fine :-)
> >
> > Clearly, depending on an implementation-dependent macro is not
> > suitable for portable software.
>
> i thought __STDC_LIMIT_MACROS was part of the spec and thus not
> "implementation dependent" ?

Sort-of.  It is included non-normatively in the C specification as a
recommendation to C++ implementations.  C++98 didn't include these
macros at all, and thus had nothing to say on the subject.

Nevertheless, the latest revision of the C++ specification includes
these macros, and explicitly states that you do *not* need to define
__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS to get them.

Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)