Re: [autoconf] how do I avoid dynamic libraries?

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: [autoconf] how do I avoid dynamic libraries?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 02:33:18 +0900

I'm not a user of LISP, so my comment could be pointless...

1. it seems that libffcall is already using GNU Libtool,
   so adding "-static" flag to the option when la file is built
   would be the easiest way, like,

(current)
libavcall.la : $(OBJECTS)
        $(LIBTOOL_LINK) $(CC) -o libavcall.la -rpath $(libdir) $(OBJECTS)

(modified)
libavcall.la : $(OBJECTS)
        $(LIBTOOL_LINK) $(CC) -static -o libavcall.la -rpath $(libdir)
$(OBJECTS)

See also http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_88.html

2. I don't have good idea. I think there is no portable flag making
a linker to ignore specific shared library as far as we use "-lxxx"
option. Thus, we should do such by "add the pathname of archive
library to LIBS flag, and do not use -lxxx option in it". It is not
so difficult if the users of libffcall can specify the prefix of
the directory of libffcall, like "--with-libffcall=/somewhere", but,
if the location of libffcall is unknown, searching it would not be
deterministic. It would be heuristic, aslike the conventional search
for X11 library/headers. Another headache is that we cannot distinguish
archive library and shared library by its extensions (e.g. IBM AIX uses
".a" for both library), and I don't have good idea to distinguish them
quickly and precisely.

Regards,
mpsuzuki