Re: Autoconf distributions and xz dependency

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Autoconf distributions and xz dependency
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:52:02 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Jim Meyering wrote:

It does not successfully build using GCC on my Solaris 10 system, and
not even with the workaround described in the INSTALL file.

Did you report it?

Yes.

I've been building xz on sparc Solaris 10 with gcc since
back when the program was called lzma.

Maybe your GCC is different than mine. Mine uses the Solaris linker from /usr/ccs/bin/ld. This is for x86 rather than SPARC.

From what I have heard, even hundreds of MB of RAM may not be
sufficient.

There are options to tune how much memory xz uses.
Perhaps the people you heard from didn't know about those.
xz has evolved in the last couple of years, so even if your
anecdote represented a bug, it may well be fixed by now.

I tried to test how much peak memory 'xz' uses to decompress the autoconf tarball but was (apparently) defeated by the strange way that 'xz' is linked. I will try again with a different tool this weekend.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn