Re: autoconf-2.68b released [beta]

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: autoconf-2.68b released [beta]
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 17:57:03 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Mike Frysinger wrote:

i don't think that matters.  bzip2 is often not installed by default, nor is
gcc or g++ or any other development program.  i find it hard to swallow that
this is even a small obstacle to someone who is installing autoconf manually
by fetching the tarball and running configure+make.

It is pretty common to find myself on a system with a working compiler and tools, but not the exact versions of autoconf, automake, and libtool that my projects need.

Projects which don't store generated files in the source control repository suffer additional pain if it becomes more difficult to install autoconf, automake, and libtool on whatever machines they happen upon so that the project may be built. More pain results in less portable projects which have not been tested on as many operating systems and types of machines.

Gzip is almost universally available so I don't think that distribution support for it should be dropped by autotools.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn