Re: default searchpaths on *BSD machines?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: default searchpaths on *BSD machines?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:52:41 +0900

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:
>> I notice that FreeBSD (etc) put a lot of optionally installed
>> ("/usr/ports") software in /usr/local, but the system compiler's
>> search-paths on these machines by default _don't_ include
>> /usr/local...
>>
>> So my autoconf'd project doesn't find various libraries, even if the
>> user thought he had installed them.
>>
>> What's the usual way to handle this issue...?
>>
>>  1) Add /usr/local to paths by default
>>  (e.g. CPPFLAGS+=-I/usr/local/include, LDFLAGS+=-L/usr/local/lib)
>
> The approach I use is to create a /usr/local/share/config.site file
> with this content:

That's something a (knowledgeable) installer can do to make installing
packages easier on his system, but I'm mainly thinking about what a
_packager_ can do to make things easier for installers that haven't
done such a thing...

Thanks,

-miles

--
Kilt, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen [sic] in America and Americans
in Scotland.