How to approach nested autoconf package configuration

From: Germán Diago Gómez
Subject: How to approach nested autoconf package configuration
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 22:42:46 +0700

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask a question I couldn't solve about autotools nested packages.

I have a project with subdirectories that use autoconf as well. The (simplified) structure is this one:

SuperProject/
    configure.ac...
    Libs/
        LibProject/
            configure.ac...
    Programs/
        ProjectBinary/
            configure.ac...

Actually they are separate projects (separate git repos) and I created a superproject (another git repo) that holds both. The problem I find is that configure checks for ProjectBinary should find LibProject. For that I want to use PKG_CHECK_MODULES([DEPS], [LibProject]) inside ProjectBinary/configure.ac but since ProjectBinary runs configure before LibProject is compiled and installed, ProjectBinary cannot find LibProject module. I added an option to disable PKG_CHECK_MODULES and add the library to the linker manually in Makefile.am, but it looks like cheating to me. So my question is:

- Is there a well-known/standard way to avoid this? One idea I have (if possible) would be compiling and installing immediately after configuring LibProject, and, after this, go into ProjectBinary. But autoconf first executes all checks for all packages and later compiles and installs (at least by default).

Regards,

Germán Diago Gómez