Re: configuring with non-standard location of gcc

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: configuring with non-standard location of gcc
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 09:54:25 -0600

On 07/13/2012 09:37 AM, Maynard Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on a project that uses autoconf/automake.  Currently, the
> configure.in defined for this project has a "--with-gcc" option that was
> added back in 2005 to allow specifying the location of the compiler to use.
> I'm doing some cleanup of our configure script and have found that this
> option simply doesn't work since our use of AC_PROG_CC is being executed
> prior to the "--with-gcc" option, even though the configure.in has the
> "--with-gcc" option first.  In my investigation of this issue, it seems to me
> that the "--with-gcc" option is not a valid method for setting CC, and that
> users should pass "CC=blah" to ./configure instead.  Is that correct?

You are correct that './configure CC=/path/to/compiler' is the preferred
and documented mechanism for selecting an alternate compiler.

Also, you should upgrade to using configure.ac; configure.in is an
obsolete file, and the next automake release will not support it
(autoconf will probably follow suit soon).

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266