Re: Add more check in autoreconf

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: Add more check in autoreconf
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:44:20 +0200

On 2012-08-16 22:17, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 08/16/2012 02:04 PM, Javier Jardón wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Im working on port GNOME moduels to use autoreconf instead our own
>> tool, gnome-autogen [1] (they do almost the same,  but gnome-autogen
>> was created before autoreconf exist)
>
> A bit of research shows that you got some facts mixed up.
>
> gnome-autogen.sh was created (as autogen.sh) in 2000:
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-common/commit/macros2/autogen.sh?id=7d133ecfaf798c274fa0fb978364fe45771fa0ba

A bit of research shows that you got some facts mixed up. :-)
I see this, which hints that the GNOME autogen.sh is at least
from 1998.
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-common/commit/macros/autogen.sh?id=a25999004d9f3bdd79c50bc92b54c0bf5b73e8d5

That is still not 1994, but it is also not the creation of
the autogen.sh file as the commit mentions that it "has most
of the guts of $topdir/autogen.sh". However, I'm not able to
locate $topdir so I dig out when it was actually created.

Not that it really matters...

> while autoreconf has existed since 1994:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/commit/bin/autoreconf.in?id=cdf79c42edd28b4972535fdcc1160f402a6d6a29

Cheers,
Peter