Re: RFE: macro for warning at configure-time if CFLAGS includes -Werror

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: RFE: macro for warning at configure-time if CFLAGS includes -Werror
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:22:07 -0700

Jeffrey Walton <address@hidden> writes:

> As a dumb user, I want to use a cookbook. That means I want to do a:

>    ./configure CFLAGS="-Wall -Wextra ...."

> I don't want to have to learn how to use autoconf, automake, and make.
> I don't want to subscribe to mailing list to make things work. I just
> want it to work as expected.

If you're an end user following a cookbook, you probably should not be
overriding the decisions of the package maintainer and adding additional
warning flags.  Warning flags are useful for more sophisticated users to
detect possible bugs in the software.  Users who are just following
cookbooks and who aren't prepared to debug the software are not going to
gain anything useful by enabling a bunch of optional warnings, let alone
trying to use -Werror.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>