Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 15:12:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012, Paul Wise wrote:

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 11:07 -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

Does simple replacement of config.guess and config.sub constitute a
useful "port" to this previously unencountered target?

Yes. The problem is that we have to repeat this process for every
package every time we want to bootstrap a new port or system. Or we can
change every package to replace config.guess/sub. Or we can change the

Would it help if Autoconf supported environment variables to support specifying the config.guess and config.sub scripts to use (similar to CONFIG_SITE and CONFIG_SHELL)? For example, there could be CONFIG_SITE and CONFIG_SUB environment variables. This approach would allow the package build wrapper to cause updated scripts to be used without needing to replace stale files which might happen to be in the package. It seems easier for the package build system to specify what it wants to be used rather than hope that rules built into the package will select the desired version.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn