Re: bug#12877: Autoconf, GNU m4 and POSIXLY_CORRECT

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: bug#12877: Autoconf, GNU m4 and POSIXLY_CORRECT
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 12:18:17 +0100

tags 12877 - moreinfo
tags 12877 notabug
close 12877
thanks

On 11/14/2012 12:09 PM, Sebastian Freundt wrote:

> "Stefano Lattarini" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> On 11/14/2012 07:45 AM, Sebastian Freundt wrote:
>>>
>>> (GNU) m4 when being called with the variable POSIXLY_CORRECT behaves
>>> differently as all GNU extensions will be suppressed.
>>>
>> Modern autoconf versions used with modern GNU m4 versions should pass
>> the latter the '-g' option, so that the POSIXLY_CORRECT variable does
>> not have any effect on the behaviour of GNU m4.  Which versions of
>> autoconf and m4 are you using?
>>

> address@hidden:pts/30:~> autoconf --version
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69
> Copyright (C)  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> License GPLv3+/Autoconf: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>, <http://gnu.org/licenses/exceptions.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
> Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

Modern enough I'd say :-)

> address@hidden:pts/30:~> m4 --version
> m4 (GNU M4) 1.9a.574-8613
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
> Written by Rene' Seindal, Gary V. Vaughan, and Eric Blake.

Ha, here lies the problem.  According to the m4 NEWS file, the '-g' option
has only been introduced in version 1.4.12.  I'd suggest you to update
your m4 installation to the latest if possible.

In the meanwhile, I'm closing this report, since we've determined your
problem is not due to an automake or aclocal bug.

HTH,
  Stefano