Re: [patch] Extend AC_PROG_CXX to check for standards conformance

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [patch] Extend AC_PROG_CXX to check for standards conformance
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:01:43 +0900

Roger Leigh <address@hidden> writes:
> However, if you look at the C++11 features like declspec, automatic
> type inference, array initialisers, delegate constructors,
> range-based for loops, lambdas, etc. these features can not be
> substituted for.  If you use them, you absolutely require a C++11
> compiler; there is no sane fallback.

That's not true for _every_ C++11 feature though.

E.g., I use std::thread, the std:: random classes if available,
otherwise I look for boost (etc).  I can use either std::unique_ptr or
std::auto_ptr (via a thin wrapper); the former is safer and better for
development, but the latter is good enough for running.

If you need C++11 features and don't have any compatibility fallbacks,
isn't following the autoconf language test in configure.ac by
"if not c++11 then AC_ERROR([BARF! Need a C++11 compiler!])"  good
enough?

-miles

--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train