Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 15:54:08 +0200

On 05/15/2013 05:53 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Monday 08 October 2012 08:46:57 Paul Wise wrote:
So, Debian is in the process of bringing up our upcoming arm64 port.
Unfortunately we are also coming across lots of packages with rather
outdated config.guess and config.sub files (see links below). We could
patch every single package that contains config.guess and config.sub but
that would be a lot of effort that doesn't scale. We could also patch
our build tools but the problem would still exist for other distros.

yes, Gentoo fixed this for every package in our tree like 9 years ago (we added
a common function like 11 years ago that ebuilds could call manually, but we
found that didn't scale).  when you run a standard autoconf script, we
automatically search for files named "config.sub" and "config.guess" and replace
them with the up-to-date host copy.  no checking or anything :).  in
hindsight, that seems like a bad idea, but in practice, i think we have yet to
find a package that this doesn't actually work.
Well, I can't imagine a case affecting config.guess, but constructing cases affecting config.sub is pretty simple.

Classical use-case is developing on cross-built packages, which require a new host/target-tuple and therefore ship a customized/modified config.sub.

Those cases are rare in publicly available/released packages, but they are not uncommon in the toolchain/OS developer's community. Think about working on "cfin-MikeOS" toolchain in binutils/gcc/gdb or adding support for it to other auto*tools-based package ;)

At least for RTEMS, we had once carried such a customized config.sub for a short period time.