Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 13:34:06 -0700

Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> writes:

> if Gentoo blowing away your rinky dinky config.sub hack breaks your
> project, then take it as a sign that You're Doing It Wrong :).

I think this may be one of those historical momentum things.  As INN
maintainer, I used to carry local patches to config.guess and config.sub
to add support for platforms on which my users were trying to build INN
that weren't supported by the current config.guess and config.sub scripts,
usually because the patches had been submitted but they were very slow to
release a new version.  This problem went away completely some time back,
with a new and far faster and more responsive process for maintaining
those scripts, and now I just use the most recent released versions for
all packages.  Some projects may still be carrying unnecessary hacks
because they started carrying them back in those days and have never gone
back and revisited.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>