Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 07:33:49 -0400

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Ben Elliston wrote:
> When it comes to people building distro packages, here is another idea
> thinking out loud.  What's wrong with ..
>
> $ find /tree/of/src/trees -name config.guess -exec ln -sf /etc/config.guess
> {} \;

People forgetting about the symlink during distribution of their
package.  Not all systems support it.  Using cp -f would be better.

> This puts the latest version into the tree, no patching required.

I tend to use a sub module repository and have config.guess and
config.sub in a directory (build-aux/) and I tell autoconf via
configure.ac where to find it.

--
Earnie