implement workaround for header files

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: implement workaround for header files
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:03:40 +1000

Hi autoconfers,

I have the following case:

I maintain a library that uses boost heavily. Recently I learnt that <boost/exception_ptr.hpp> is broken with certain version of GCC (4.4.7 for example). I would like provide a workaround for users of the library (myself e.g.) so we won't even notice the breakage. I've implemented a compile test with AC_COMPILE_IFELSE that tests whether the compiler and 'exception_ptr.hpp' get along or not, but now I'm not sure what is the best way to use this test. If I wrote an application I would AC_DEFINE and whether depending on that define or not I could include a patched header file first. But since I'm writing a library and the problem is exposed in header files that are installed I'm not sure what is the best way to accomplish that. I already have a 'public_config.h' with a subset of content in 'config.h', which is installed. Yet I'm not sure what is the best way to accomplish a good solution here. If I need to install a patched boost header file, it must be hidden away so people won't include it by mistake; otherwise I might get a mob after me rightfully. Anyone having experience with this kind of workaround? I looked at gnulib but it seems focused on workarounds for end applications and not installed headers, which is slightly different.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Peter