Re: no way to conditionally check for a C compiler?

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: no way to conditionally check for a C compiler?
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 15:32:19 +0000

On 19/01/14 23:58, Per Bothner wrote:
> This means I have to do AC_PROG_CC unconditionally, which means
> you can't run configure unless a C compiler is available.  This is
> a shame, since you only need the C compiler if --enable-kawa-frontend
> is selected.

I guess this is another facet of the issue I raised here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.autoconf.general/15448

This has not (yet) elicited any response.

> I realize this is a highly unusual use-case, and autoconf can't
> necessarily be all things to everyone.  I thought I'd just ask if
> there is a recommended solution.

Not so unusual, surely, since building GCC itself requires some such
capability; (witness, the GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES macro).

--
Regards,
Keith.