Re: AC_PROG_INSTALL and AC_PROG_MKDIR_P fallbacks

From: Thomas Jahns
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_INSTALL and AC_PROG_MKDIR_P fallbacks
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 16:39:33 +0200

On 08/08/14 01:00, Peter Johansson wrote:
> I think you're welcome to send in a patch given the response I got from Paul
> Eggert and Eric Blake when I reported similar thing last year
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2013-02/msg00012.html

Thanks, from that thread I can also see that the fix needs to be in the program
macros because then nothing's lost if the problem with funny path characters
applies, i.e. I'm too timid to modify ac_install_sh but rather mangle the value
of MKDIR_P if and only if it is a relative path.

Please see my attached patch (tested on FreeBSD 10) for AC_PROG_MKDIR_P.

A patch for AC_PROG_INSTALL would have to be identical but I don't have a system
to test. Our AIX machines have a working install program and the same is true
for FreeBSD. If anyone has a suggestion for a platform to test this on
(preferably available for install to a VM) I'd give it a go.

Regards, Thomas