Re: Strategy to specify major, minor, and patch versions

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Strategy to specify major, minor, and patch versions
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:54:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014, Zack Weinberg wrote:

If that works, you can then take the APP_{MAJOR,MINOR,PATCH}_VERSION=
lines and split them out to their own file, let's call it VERSION.sh,
and read it from configure.ac with ". $srcdir/VERSION.sh".  I *think*
$srcdir is set already at that point.

The package I am maintaining does use a version.sh script and shell variables but it requires using deprecated initialization interfaces. The configure script only gets updated when there is something configure-related which needs to be changed. Several releases can go by without configure being updated at all.

It is really common to want to derive package versioning from the version control system so that all files can already be committed when the release is made and the versioning reflects what is already in the repository.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn