Re: AC_PROG_CC wrongly setting $GCC=yes while clang is used

From: Bastien Chevreux
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC wrongly setting $GCC=yes while clang is used
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 22:51:55 +0200

On 08 Sep 2014, at 22:30 , Marko Lindqvist <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 8 September 2014 22:34, Bastien Chevreux <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Down Under there are mammals who got pretty good at imitating duck features
>> lately.
>
> That's exactly the reason for autoconf-way:
> […]

OK, before this duck thing gets a bit out of hand, back to a more
day-to-day-like problem:

I would need to test whether the compiler accepts “-OMG”
AND
I would need a way to test whether the compiler is specifically GCC (not clang,
not icc) between 3.2.0 and 3.4.2

as I would need to disable -OMG on GCC version 3.2.0 to 3.4.2 because of user
report of miscompilations and/or buggy code there.

How do I do that the autoconf way with the tools I have in 2.69 and the macros
of the autoconf archive? I already do have code for testing the version
numbers, it’s the specific GCC/clang and -OMG tests which are a bit more
problematic.

Best,
  B.

PS: “-OMG" and the GCC versions are simplified, made up examples