Re: Transferring variables from configure.ac to Makefile.am

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Transferring variables from configure.ac to Makefile.am
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 15:52:24 -0400

Hi Russell,

On 3/24/16, Russell Wallace <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think I sort of see how to set variables within configure.ac, and do some
> minimal calculations on them. But how do you transfer the value of a
> variable set in configure.ac, to Makefile.am where it will be actually
> used?

Any shell variable can be marked as an "output variable" by using AC_SUBST;
the value is then substituted into configure outputs.  See "Setting Output
Variables"[1] in the Autoconf manual for the details.

It sounds like you are using Automake so this process should be pretty much
automatic: by default, automake automatically adds the appropriate magic to
set make variables with the same name, so you can just use the variable in
make as you normally would.

Example:

 configure.ac:
  FOO=bar