Problems configuring sipxportlib with autoconf 2.69 (works with 2.57)

From: amit.chaudhuri
Subject: Problems configuring sipxportlib with autoconf 2.69 (works with 2.57)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 09:15:58 +0000

Hi,

I've been trying to cross compile an old sip stack code base
(sipxportlib & sipxtacklib) on a new toolchain. Using the old
toolchain (with autoconf 2.57), running autoreconf -fi runs
without error and a sensible configure script is generated. That
script can be used to configure a build which goes on to complete
and install cleanly.

With the 2.69 on the new toolchain, I get this error:

autoreconf --force --install
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `config'.
libtoolize: copying file `config/ltmain.sh'
libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.ac and
libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros in-tree.
libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
configure.ac:50: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_CHECKING
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:63: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_RESULT
configure:2464: error: possibly undefined macro: _m4_defun_pro
configure:2465: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_ARG_WITH
configure:2485: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
configure:2489: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SUBST
configure:2495: error: possibly undefined macro: _m4_defun_epi
configure:2658: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_WARN
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

If I comment out the two m4_include lines an instead use
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([config]) to point to the m4 files I
get a configure script but it won't run happily because
it tries to call as_fn_exit and as_fn_set_status functions
before they are defined.

If I copy the 2 function definitions to the top of the configure
script I can persuade things to progress, but that is clearly not
the "right" way.

I've included the contents of configure.ac inline below and as.
an attachment. The two m4 files from the config directory are

also attached.

Obviously, I'd like to be able to modify the configure.ac or

other files so that they play nice with the new toolchain.

If I can provide any additional diagnostics, let me know.

Regards,

Amit

> cat configure.ac
#                                               -*- Autoconf -*-
# Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.

AC_PREREQ(2.57)
AC_INIT(sipXportLib, 4.2.1, address@hidden)

AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(config)
m4_include([config/general.m4])
m4_include([config/sipXlib.m4])

SFAC_SIPX_INSTALL_PREFIX
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(foreign)
SFAC_AUTOMAKE_VERSION([1.6])
CHECK_AUTOCONF

AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([src/os/OsConfigDb.cpp])
AM_CONFIG_HEADER([config.h])
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
# check the shared library file extension - sets LTDL_SHLIB_EXT
AC_LTDL_SHLIBEXT

# Checks for programs.
AC_PATH_PROG([BASH], [bash])
AC_PROG_CXX
AX_COMPILER_VENDOR
AC_PROG_CC
CHECK_XARGS_REPLACE

CHECK_MSG_NOSIGNAL

# Checks for libraries.
CHECK_LIBRT
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([dlopen], [dl])

# Checks for header files.
# Checks for typedefs, structures, and compiler characteristics.
# Checks for library functions.

CHECK_CPPUNIT
CHECK_PCRE
CHECK_SSL
# CHECK_RPM_DEBUG

SFAC_STRICT_COMPILE_NO_WARNINGS_ALLOWED
SFAC_INIT_FLAGS

SFAC_FEATURE_SIP_TLS

AC_MSG_CHECKING(for system type for process iterator ($host))
case $host in
    *-*-freebsd*)
    PROCESS_ITERATOR=src/os/freebsd/OsProcessIteratorFreeBSD.cpp
    LIBS="$(LIBS) -lkvm"
    ;;
    *-*-hpux*)
    PROCESS_ITERATOR=src/os/hpux/OsProcessIteratorHpux.cpp
    ;;
    *-*-linux*)
    PROCESS_ITERATOR=src/os/linux/OsProcessIteratorLinux.cpp
    ;;
esac
AC_MSG_RESULT($PROCESS_ITERATOR)
AC_CONFIG_LINKS(src/os/OsProcessIterator.cpp:$PROCESS_ITERATOR)

AC_CHECK_FUNCS(setenv)

ENABLE_DOC
ENABLE_DOXYGEN
AM_CONDITIONAL(DOC, test x$enable_doc = xyes)
AM_CONDITIONAL(GENERATE_DOXYGEN, test x$enable_doxygen = xyes)

AC_CONFIG_FILES([
Makefile
include/Makefile
bin/Makefile