Re: Help for makefiles

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Help for makefiles
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 16:24:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018, Anmol Mishra wrote:

Greetings,
I am an open source contributor and doing Google Summer Of Code 2018 at
Sugar Labs. I would like to know that I have a repository that was earlier
working fat python2 and my makefile were installing it correctly, now we
have moved forward to provide our package dual compatibility in Python 2
and Python 3, whole code is ready but I seek help for How to make the
suitable changes that my changes in makefile gets adapted in such a way
that my package will be installed in python 2 or python 3 directory
depending on the version available on system. Your precious help and
guidance will be highly appreciated.

I suggest adding support for --with-python=[=PYTHON] to your package's configure script, It should use /usr/bin/python by default, or the program specified by the PYTHON environment variable, or perhaps the 'python' which occurs first in the executable search path.

It should be possible to do something like

  ./configure --with-python=/my/python5.78

In order to allow a specific python to be used.

Two builds would be required to support both python2 and python3 on the same host.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn