Make and subdir

From: Mauricio Ramirez
Subject: Make and subdir
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 13:38:46 -0700

I have a project with about 30 modules.  We've been using the following as
our Makefile.am

ACLOCAL_FLAGS = -I buildtools # To find out custom macros (for aclocal)

SUBDIRS = \
mylibrary\
prog1 prog2 prog3 prog4 prog5 prog6 prog7 prog8 \
prog9 prog10 prog11 prog12 prog13 prog14 prog15 prog16 \
prog17 prog18 prog19 prog20 prog21 prog22 prog23 prog24 prog25 prog26 \
prog27 prog28 prog29 prog30 prog31

And the following as our Configure.ac

AC_PREREQ(2.69)
AC_INIT(system, 1.0, address@hidden)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
AM_CONFIG_HEADER([config.h])

REQUIRE_TIBRV
REQUIRE_ORACLE

AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

# Our subdirectories
AC_DEFUN([SUBDIR],[
 if test -d $1; then
  AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS($1)
 fi
])

AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(mylibraru)
SUBDIR(prog1 )
SUBDIR(prog2 )
SUBDIR(prog3 )
SUBDIR(prog4 )
SUBDIR(prog5 )
SUBDIR(prog6 )
SUBDIR(prog7 )
SUBDIR(prog8 )
SUBDIR(prog9 )
SUBDIR(prog10 )
SUBDIR(prog11 )
SUBDIR(prog12 )
SUBDIR(prog13)
SUBDIR(prog14)
SUBDIR(prog15 )
SUBDIR(prog16 )
SUBDIR(prog17 )
SUBDIR(prog18 )
SUBDIR(prog19 )
SUBDIR(prog20 )
SUBDIR(prog21 )
SUBDIR(prog22 )
SUBDIR(prog23 )
SUBDIR(prog24 )
SUBDIR(prog25 )
SUBDIR(prog26 )
SUBDIR(prog27 )
SUBDIR(prog28 )
SUBDIR(prog29 )
SUBDIR(prog30 )
SUBDIR(prog31 )
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)

This has worked great on RedHat 5, but when we're moving to Redhat 7, it
fails when building mylibrary.  It can't find some includes.  If I go into
the mylibrary directory, and do the make, it works just fine.  Not
understanding why I can no longer build the whole thing in one shot.
--
Mauricio Ramirez
Programmer Analyst