Re: avoiding target $(srcdir)/

From: john heasley
Subject: Re: avoiding target $(srcdir)/
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:35:34 -0700

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 05:02:46AM -0400, Pavel Roskin darkened my spool with
the following:
> Hello, John!
> > is there a macro or option to automake to ommit the target
> > for $(srcdir)/, such that it is not necessary to
> > include and in a distribution?
> It already becomes a FAQ. Why do you need this?
> The last person who asked about this alleged that there will be problems
> on systems lacking Automake, but couldn't give a real example.

if these targets are in the, but i do not include
aclocal.m4,, or in the distribution,
then make fails.  for example:

roome [3414] ls
CHANGES         README          cloginrc.sample config.status   mkinstalldirs
Makefile        Todo            config.cache    configure       util     bin             config.log      install-sh
roome [3415] make
make: *** No rule to make target `', needed by `'.  Stop.

> > i tried including an empty target in  it looks
> > as if it is created in the perl code and there dont appear
> > to be any conditionals to avoid it.
> Only the first statement is correct. Search for "This rule remakes the
>" in automake - there is a clear indication that
> AM_MAINTATINER_MODE can be used to suppress that rule.

this includes @MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@ in the target, which
does not get replaced by configure without an AC_SUBST(). $(srcdir)/ @MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@
$(top_srcdir)/ $(ACLOCAL_M4) $(srcdir)/configure: @address@hidden(srcdir)/

perhaps i am using AM_MAINTAINER_MODE incorrectly.  i have it in AM_MAINTAINER_MODE().  it seems to operate in the
same manner no matter where i put it.

what am i missing?

> However, I believe that you don't really want it.

are input files to automake and autoconf normally just included
in distributions?  in the past i have seen several packages (not
necessarily from gnu) which do not include these.