distributing files generated by configure

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: distributing files generated by configure
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:43:35 -0500

I have several files which are generated by configure that I want three
things to happen to.

1) Created in $(srcdir) rather than $(builddir) or, alternately and
second best, targets added which make the $(srcdir) counterparts
dependent on the $(builddir) versions.  I don't like option 2 because a
lot of diffing and touching will have to be going on to avoid updating
unchanged files.
2) Removed from distclean
3) Added to dist

The reason for this is to allow platforms which can't run configure
(Win32) to checkout from our CVS repository and build as correctly as if
they had grabbed a generated distribution.  The premise is that any file
checked into CVS should be in $(srcdir) and should not be removed from
$(srcdir) by distclean.  Our version.c file is an example of one of
these files - it is now generated with configure based on the
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE version.

#3 is easy, but it doesn't look like it is going to be easy to get the
first two.

Am I missing something?  Is there a prescribed way to do this?

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )
mailto:address@hidden     OpenAvenue ( http://OpenAvenue.com )
They are laughing at me, not with me.
They are laughing at me, not with me...

          - Bart Simpson on chalkboard, _The Simpsons_