Re: Automake: Compiling sources in other directories

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Automake: Compiling sources in other directories
Date: 15 Jan 2001 18:37:38 +0100

>>>>> "Dave" == Dave Brolley <address@hidden> writes:

Dave> No problems so far. What kind of problems are you expecting?

It likes removing VPATH definitions from Makefiles.  Many people
complain about that, but I confess I never really tried to understand
what the problem was.  I just know there is :)

The culprit is

# Any assignment to VPATH causes Sun make to only execute
# the first set of double-colon rules, so remove it if not needed.
# If there is a colon in the path, we need to keep it.
if test "x$srcdir" = x.; then
  ac_vpsub=['/^[        ]*VPATH[        ]*=[^:]*$/d']
fi

Hm, it looks like it's removed only in the top dir.  It also seems
you've been saved by the colon :)  But apparently, expect problems
with Sun?  Dunno.