Re: OS-sympathetic installation

From: Geoffrey Wossum
Subject: Re: OS-sympathetic installation
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:04:55 -0600 (CST)

David,

> But there seems to be one vital missing component.  Way back in the olden
> days, we needed "make install" to put the product into its final
> location(s).  But these days, many operating systems have their own
> package-management mechanisms (the word "package" is here overloaded!).
> My own experience is with the Solaris pkgadd/pkgrm family of commands, but
> other Oses have other things such as "RPM" etc.

You're right, it is missing right now.

> Has any thought been given to this idea?

Yes.  And I plan to do something about it.  I plan to start on a unified
front end to all the packaging systems within a couple of weeks.  Then
automake can use this front-end to create packages.  Later on, more
advanced stuff will be done with it, such as automagically figuring out
package dependencies and such.

There's been several posts concering this type of stuff in the past week
(check the archive), and I just posted my plans about 5 minutes ago.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
address@hidden