Re: make install-strip in cross-compilation environments

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: make install-strip in cross-compilation environments
Date: 20 Jan 2001 15:27:39 +0100

>>> "Alexandre" == Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden>
>>> writes:

 Alexandre> On Jan 18, 2001, Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:
 Alexandre> We could surely adjust install-sh so as to take a STRIP
 Alexandre> variable into account, and set INSTALL_STRIP (a new
 Alexandre> variable, set to the same as `$(INSTALL)' if not
 Alexandre> cross-compiling, or to `STRIP=toolchain-strip
 Alexandre> $(CONFIG_SHELL) /path/to/install-sh' otherwise) in the
 Alexandre> configure script.

 >> install-sh already supports STRIPPROG.
 >> The problem arises when using the vendor (even GNU) install.

 Alexandre> Even better!  Then we can just arrange for INSTALL_STRIP to set
 Alexandre> STRIPPROG and use install-sh for cross install-strip.  install-strip
 Alexandre> would pass INSTALL=$(INSTALL_STRIP) to the sub-make, where
 Alexandre> INSTALL_STRIP would be set by configure as needed for cross builds.

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz