Re: Automake shooting in its foot

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Automake shooting in its foot
Date: 24 Jan 2001 17:07:26 +0100

>>>>> "Alexandre" == Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> writes:

Alexandre> Worst case, we can break AC_DEFUNed macros into two macros,
Alexandre> one with the actual name, that contains the prologue and
Alexandre> the epilogue and, between them, an invocation of another
Alexandre> macro, containing the actual code.  Then, hooking something
Alexandre> before or after a pro/epi macro would be just a matter of
Alexandre> pre/appending the code to this other macro.

We absolutely agree: all the solutions which seem sound are
expensive.  This one being the a priori cleanest _if_ we really want
to establish hooks for all the macros in the world.  In the case of
AC_PROG_CC and the like, I'm no sure that's what we want: given that
it comprises several very different steps, I wouldn't be surprised
that Libtool and Automake would like to insert themselves at different
levels.  Not to mention the order between Libtool and Automake hooks
themselves.

Alexandre> The good thing is that, when they break, people notice it
Alexandre> immediately.

:) :) :) Very true!