Re: 14-am-traces.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 14-am-traces.patch
Date: 28 Jan 2001 19:10:49 -0700

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim>   * automake.in (&scan_autoconf_config_files): Extract from
Akim>   &scan_one_autoconf_file.
Akim>   (&scan_one_autoconf_file): Use it.
Akim>   (&scan_autoconf_traces): New.
Akim>   ($scan_autoconf_files): Use it.

This is fine.

I have a question though.

Akim> +    local ($traces) = "$ENV{amtraces} ";

Do we really want to use an environment variable?  Eventually automake
will default to using the autoconf trace facility.  At that time I
suppose we'll generate a rule in Makefile.in that looks like:

    $(AUTOMAKE) --autoconf=$(AUTOCONF) ...

... and the default will be to use `autoconf'.
Why not just go ahead and implement that now, with the caveat that
tracing is only enabled if --autoconf is given?

(And for now we wouldn't document --autoconf in automake --help or in
the manual.)

Tom