amtraces

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: amtraces
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 12:48:18 -0500

Ok, I have amtraces code that slurps in almost all the information that
scan_one_autoconf_file used to.  Unfortuantely I hit a minor snag:

Since _all_ AC_SUBSTs are being processed now, at least one instance
where Automake was allowing for user override is now broken.

The case in question is the DEFAULT_INCLUDES variable being substituted
in as part of DEFS.  Since Automake still asumes that a call to
AC_SUBST(DEFS) is always user-requested and that a user request
overrides the version of DEFS from comp-vars.am, DEFAULT_INCLUDES is no
longer being set.

Since counting the AC_SUBST calls would be painful (each macro would
have a different user count threshold and this could be variable), I'm
thinking that the best solution is to define an AM_DEFS variable
(modeled after AM_CPPFLAGS & AM_CFLAGS) and make it part of the COMPILE
variable, then subst the old DEFAULT_INCLUDES value into that.

Is this the correct approach?

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )