Testsuite fails

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Testsuite fails
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:58:55 -0500 (EST)

Hello!

After the changes committed today the testsuite fails. The first failing
test is aclocali.test:

$ make check TESTS=aclocali.test VERBOSE=1
make  check-TESTS
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/automake.v0/tests'
=== Running test ./aclocali.test
automake: configure.in: required file `./config.guess' not found
automake: configure.in: required file `./config.sub' not found
FAIL: aclocali.test

I looked at the changes in init.m4 - now AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE calls
AM_PROG_INSTALL_STRIP, which ends with:

AC_CHECK_TOOL([STRIP],[strip])

AC_CHECK_TOOL requires config.status and config.sub. It's probably not a
big deal. As long as Autoconf and Automake develop, they face system
specific issues that can most effectively be dealt with when the system
name is known.

But some people may believe that config.guess is a road to hell - I don't
agree with them but I feel uncomfortably that they were not asked (i.e.
the problem was not identified because the testsuite failures hadn't been
detected)

The testsuite is probably easy to fix - maybe it's just the matter of
adding "--add-missing" to the definition of AUTOMAKE variable.

But what bothers me is the fact that very serious patches were committed
without running the testsuite. When I'm asked to comment about a patch I
often say - Ok if the testsuite passes. I.e. I don't see anything bad in
the patch, but I'm not a shell and not a perl interpreter to check the
syntax. However, I believe that the existing testsuite should catch
possible problems.

Some people are offended by this condition because it's _implied_. But now
we have to think how to fix the testsuite that already fails.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin