Re: yaccvpath.test

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: yaccvpath.test
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:50:37 -0500

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2001, "Derek R. Price" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > CVS uses a single second sleep to guarentee timestamps change cross-platform
>
> IIRC, FAT filesystems can only store even second numbers.  So, in
> order to be 100% safe, you'd need to sleep for 2 seconds, but a
> 1-second sleep should be ok on at least 50% of the cases.

I don't think so.  The CVS code does the following, regardless of the platform:

    while (last_register_time && time ((time_t *) NULL) == last_register_time)
    {
        * sleep 20ms *
    }

Where last_register_time is the last time a file was written (recorded just
after
writing).

In other words, this code simply waits until the next second.  I don't usually
work on the Windows specific code myself, but everything here except the sleep
function is common code, and unless the clock and not just the file system has a
2 second granularity, then a race condition would have been created.  I haven't
seen the bug reports and I know for a fact that the Windows sleep function was
just recently rewritten to allow millisecond granularity, so the rest is
doubtful.

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )
mailto:address@hidden     OpenAvenue ( http://OpenAvenue.com )
I will not celebrate meaningless milestones.
I will not celebrate meaningless milestones...

          - Bart Simpson on chalkboard, _The Simpsons_