Re: Optimizing Makefiles

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Optimizing Makefiles
Date: 06 Mar 2001 19:48:08 +0100

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Akim> What is the general policy wrt `optimizations' in automake vs
> Akim> leaving some job to make?
>
> Let make do it.
>
> Seriously, I've never done any performance measurements to see how or
> if we could speed up generated Makefiles.  If we did do this then I'd
> prefer to generate a fast Makefile at the expense of automake's
> runtime.  make will be run many more times than automake, even for
> people modifying Makefile.am.
>
> Akim>                 if ($relative_dir eq '.')
> Akim>                 {
> Akim>                     push (@files, 'acconfig.h');
> Akim>                 }
> Akim>                 else
> Akim>                 {
> Akim>                     push (@files, '$(top_srcdir)/acconfig.h');
> Akim>                 }
>
> I don't recall this precise case, but sometimes these changes are in
> response to a particular bug report.
>
> Do you have a way you want to change this code?  I don't think we can
> use VPATH here.  And, unfortunately, not all make implementations like
> `./acconfig.h' (or at least, so ISTR).

I just meant to have only

        push (@files, '$(top_srcdir)/acconfig.h');

in both cases.  I must say that I don't understand the relationship
with VPATH here.  If you tell me that we can't use ./acconfig.h, then
I don't understand how the else branch can work properly.  ?

And anyway, when we use $(top_srcdir), we don't depend upon VPATH at
all, do we?