Re: make dist and sources in subdirs

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: make dist and sources in subdirs
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:33:52 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Collins" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 11:46 PM
Subject: make dist and sources in subdirs

> I have three questions:
> 1) Based on a recent comment on this list,
> I have
> noinst_LIBRARIES = libfoo.a
> lib_foo_a_SOURCES = foo/a.c foo/b.c foo/c.c
> upon entering this particular directory, make dist does:
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `foo.c', needed by `distdir'.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ambuild/src/fs'
> It seems to be losing the directory prefix.

It wasn't losing the prefix. I'd missed one of the prefixs. Doh!.
However there is still a problem:
make dist doesn't create directory foo.

> I know I'm on the bleeding edge here :]. BTW: I haven't introduced
> libtool to the project yet. The goal is automake first, libtool
> as two separate tasks.
> 2) Do the stub directories such as foo, which only have 2 or three c
> files need's ?

I take it the answer to this is "yes it solves creating the directory?"
The reason why I was hoping to avoid a Makefile is that it saves a level
of recursion during make, and on cygwin that saves time .