Re: 48-false-confusion.patch

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: 48-false-confusion.patch
Date: 09 Apr 2001 11:38:13 +0200

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:
>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> So from now on, `FALSE' is used where ever a condition is
Akim> needed, and `#' where ever a Make condition is needed.  Of
Akim> course `#' should not be actually output, but why making weak
Akim> code instead of robust code.

Tom> I'm not sure I understand the distinction.  Could you explain?

FALSE is used as a key in %{conditions}{$var} for instance, or when
dumping the variable.  `#' is used when outputting the Makefile.

For some time I thought it might be useful to see what would have
happened with FALSE conditions (in the sense of variable_dump).  But
ISTR I hit a limitation (something like multiple definition under the
same condition: FALSE) which made it impossible.

It is probably safer now to make it a prog_error to macro_define under
FALSE.